Saturday, March 24, 2012

An Afternoon Hike

We decided to take advatage of the beautiful spring weather and went for a family hike. I have live in the valley for 30 years and have NEVER hiked South Mountain. I have been missing something spectacular!!!
This was the view from the top of the mountain just as we began our hike on the Buena Vista Trail. Looking north into Downtown Phoenix and beyond.

Everyone was all smiles and looking forward to seeing 'Fat Man's Pass'. For those of you not familiar with it, basically it is two huge rocks set so close to each other that there is only about a 2 foot gap between for you to pass though. I guess some where along the way some one thought it resembled a large persons bottom. It was about a 1.5 mile hike to the pass and Liam walked the whole way. I was so surprised and proud of my little man.
As you can see, Liam got pretty dirty from all the spills he took jumping off the rocks along the trails. Ranger on the other hand was like a mountain goat and we kept having to remind him that he had to stay with the family.



This is Liam and I in the pass. Let me tell you, it was a TIGHT squeeze. I had to take off my hat and my Camelpak to get in there. Liam wasn't too sure about going through the pass, but his curiousity got the best of him and he soon went through.
This is Ranger in the pass. I took the pic while stradling the two rocks.
Liam and Chad went up the 'cheek' to see the beautiful view.

All in all, it was a GREAT adventure and we all are a bit tired tonight. Liam crashed pretty much as soon as we got back to the car.

We are already planning more family outings. I think the next hike will be up to Flagstaff to enjoy a hike through Walnut Canyon and see some Indian Ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment